Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Could you imagine being buried without a grave stone? Some may find it of little consequence, especially if they planned on being cremated and spread to the winds, or if they assign no consequence to our bodily states after we pass. For the last few months, I have been doing genealogical research, and it has brought me to several cemeteries around the Twin Cities.

I know that we had at least one of my kin buried at Calvary Cemetery in Saint Paul, so I stopped by the office to do a search. Indeed, my great-great grandfather is buried out there. Concerned with finding the grave, I asked the office if I would be looking for an upright gravestone or a flat stone for his grave. The lady told me that I would be looking for no marker at all since no monument was ever placed. This man died in 1930, but since that time there has been no memorial placed on his grave.

It makes me wonder why his children did not purchase a stone for him. One possible reason is that he survived his eldest son, who would have been responsible for making these kind of arrangements at that time. The other rumor is that he died destitute, which would not have been uncommon in 1930.

Whatever the case, it is rather sad. I am not sure if it is more sad that there was not enough money for a simple stone or if no one cared to do it, but either way it is all a kind of sad. It's a sad way to end for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment