Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Homesteaders

One of the unintended consequences of moving back to Minnesota was being closer to my familial roots. In fact, my great-great grandfather homesteaded about 90 minutes from here, so I decided to go take a look around. It has been something I intended doing since I started this genealogical research.

I had long ago found a copy of the original land patent, so was able to find the parcel using my elementary understanding of reading plat maps. I was even able to nail down an address, which makes it even easier with any GPS navigation device. So, I just typed it in and away I went.

Despite being a mere hour and a half away, the landscape between here and there is different. Here in Detroit Lakes, we are at the confluence of prairie, forest, and plains. As you move through Otter Tail County and into Wadena County, it become apparent that there are more farms and ranches and fewer recreational lakes. Pushing into Todd County on Highway 71, one passes through small hamlets and towns until finally one reaches Browerville. This is the town where my ancestors would have gone to church and shop. In fact, it is said that Valentine Schultek would have taken his children and wife to church in a sleigh. To get an idea of what this would like, I needed to go deep into the country to find the homestead.

I had to take several turns on paved roads until I met my last turn on a dirt road that was red-brown. The rain must make dirt roads that color. I drove a mile and half and finally made it - it was a swampy brushy brushy area, and it was apparent to me how it would be difficult to stay. It wasn't a ugly place, it was just a hard place with limited opportunity. True, the adjacent lake may have provided an abundant source of water, but it reminded me more of a large pond than a serious lake. The 57 acres of the homestead had numerous deer stands, and I don't doubt that several of these beautiful nuisances come round this area.

After taking several pictures, and casting a few times into the lake at the adjacent state boat access, I decided it was time to go. I drove to Long Prairie, the seat of Todd County. A fine town, though sadly the whole town is for sale. I noticed that it was time for church, so I decided to take in Mass at this grand old church. It was a very nice service, and after a walk around the cemetery looking for Val Schultek, it was time to go back to Detroit Lakes.

I got back to Detroit Lakes at about dusk, and grilled some steaks. A leisurely day that could have been worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment